For Attorneys

1. What kinds of cases does the Legal Aid Society handle?
Legal Aid provides services to financially eligible citizens of Palm Beach County in the following areas of law:
  • Family Law: Divorce where there is domestic violence and/or custody of children is involved
  • Domestic Violence: Extension of Restraining Order hearings
  • Juvenile Law: Dependency & delinquency matters upon court appointment
  • Immigration Law: Naturalization matters
  • Elder Law: Abuse & exploitation of the elderly, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, housing and consumer matters
  • Legal Matters Affecting HIV Infected Individuals: Employment, insurance, disability benefits, health care matters, housing and consumer matters
  • Housing Discrimination: Discrimination based on race, sex, color, religion, national origin, handicap, familial status, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or gender identity and expression.

2. Does the Legal Aid Society handle criminal cases?
No, we do not. If you are charged with a criminal offense and cannot afford an attorney you should request a public defender when you first appear before a judge.

3. Do you handle child support cases?
Generally, we do not handle child support cases.

4. Do you handle immigration cases?
Yes, but, due to our limited staff, we must limit the types of cases that our Immigration Advocacy Project handles. To find out what kinds of immigration cases we handle or if you are eligible for immigration services please call 561-655-8944 ext. 233.

To learn more about how the Greenberg Traurig law firm (Palm Beach County) participates in Legal Aid's pro bono legal representation program, click here.